Most voice-over jobs you audition for, you will never get and you’ll never know why.
If you can’t live with that… too bad. Nobody cares, and there’s no rejection protection program.
Most people can’t accept the fact that they will never learn the answer to the question WHY.
If you are one of those people, this is for you.
YOU DIDN’T WIN THE AUDITION BECAUSE…
- you’re more of the same
- you’re a one-trick pony
- you need a lot of hand-holding
- your audio is awful
- your attitude is even worse
- you’re insecure, overconfident or unresponsive
- your fee is too low or too high to be taken seriously
- you’re high-maintenance
- your website looks unprofessional
- your demo is sub-standard
- you’re ungrateful
- you feel entitled
- you want the glory but refuse to do the legwork
- you’re undisciplined and unreliable
- you can’t take direction: you love to talk but cannot listen
- you were too late: the casting director picked voice #7 while you were last in line
- you take suggestions as criticism
- you can’t handle the workload and cannot meet deadlines
- you sound like the casting director’s ex-boyfriend or -girlfriend
- you don’t have the right connections
- your family is not the best judge of your talent
- you never give referrals but love to be recommended
- you’re a copycat, not an original
- you signed an NDA and yet you bragged about the job on Facebook
- you’re clearly using a fake accent
- you can’t follow simple audition instructions
- you didn’t wow the client in the first seven seconds
- you’re too much in love with the sound of your own voice
- your agent loves you but the client hates you
- you were born in the wrong body: you’re a man and the client wants a woman or vice versa
- you sound too young, too old or like you don’t care
- you’re trying too hard
- you didn’t audition because you were afraid you’d fail
- you’re in it for the money
- you spend too much time reading blogs and not enough on marketing and training
Whatever the reason may be, you cannot change the things you don’t control. Find the factors you can influence and start working on those.
When you’re not selected, it doesn’t mean that you’re rejected. Someone else was just a better fit.
Learn the art of letting go.
Your life will be so much easier.
Paul Strikwerda ©nethervoice